Advice and Tips for Actors Helpful thoughts on acting from someone who wasn't the least successful actor of all time.

February 27, 2008

Conan Carroll and Associates Skips Town

Filed under: agents/managers — Eitan @ 10:46 pm

A fair number of people find this website after searching for Conan Carroll and Associates so I want to repost this in case people find this having Googled for CCA.  Apparently they skipped town leaving checks to bounce and unpaid bills.  They were my agency years ago and it’s a shame they went belly up and left so many people in the lurch.  I won’t bore you with stories about how badly the place was run but I’ll just say none of this really surprises me.  The following notice was released by AFTRA today:

###

IMPORTANT NOTICE
Clients of Conan Carroll & Associates, Los Angeles
The AFTRA National Agency Department has been informed that there may
be a problem with the agency you are currently working through, Conan
Carroll & Associates. Recently, we received information that the
license of Conan Carroll & Associates has lapsed, and that the agency’s
bond has expired. The National Agency Department and the Los Angeles
Local Agency Department have attempted to contact Conan Carroll &
Associates several times and our calls have gone unanswered; we have
been told by clients of the agency that they have also been unable to
reach anyone. We have written to this agency, advising them that if we
did not hear from them by this week, their franchise would be
considered surrendered. Since that letter was delivered, we have not
received any response to our inquiry.

Based on the foregoing information, AFTRA has changed the status of
this agency’s franchise to SURRENDERED as of February 19, 2008.
We have heard from at least one member that a check issued by Conan
Carroll has bounced. At this time, we are advising clients of this
agency to withdraw any and all check authorizations you may have on
file with your current employers immediately. If you are owed money by
the agency, or if there are any problems with checks issued by Conan
Carroll and Associates, please contact us immediately.

If you have any questions regarding this memo, please feel free to
contact Megan Capuano, National Director, Agent Relations, at (212)
532-0800, Extension 4305, or by e-mail at mcapuano@aftra.com or Denise
Mazzocco, AFTRA Los Angeles Agency Administrator, at (323) 634-8188 or
dmazzoco@aftra.com.

Thank you for your immediate attention to this matter.

###

12 Comments »

1. wow – thanks for letting me know. I thought I was a client until today.

Comment by Ana Rey — February 28, 2008 @ 5:31 pm

2. Please be advised that CCA checks did not bounce due to insufficient funds. The client trust account was “frozen” by City National Bank after an account exec. noticed suspicious activity regarding online and telephone purchases debiting the client trust. City National fraud depts and LAPD are currently investigating. City National Bank is in the process of releasing a memorandum that will be forwarded to CCA clients clearing Conan Carroll of any wrong doing regarding this matter.

Comment by CEO — March 17, 2008 @ 11:38 am

3. I can’t believe that Conan would leave town and not notify any of his clients. Does anyone know what happened to him or how to reach him?

Comment by Carol Schlanger — May 2, 2008 @ 2:00 pm

4. Well I worked with Conan before… and know him to be a real good person…..like all business endeavors…maybe he has hit hard times….I will look into it….

Comment by Jose — May 9, 2008 @ 8:57 pm

5. Wait. Is this the same Conan Caroll agency in California? If it is, then it shocks me that this could have happened. I was a client while living in Los Angeles (specifically Glendale), but then I moved to Mission, Texas and lost contact with them. This is really horrible.

Comment by Andrew — June 30, 2009 @ 1:07 pm

6. Wow I’m shocked. I worked there as an intern for like 6 months. I would never guess that there was anything wrong. He seemed like a good guy and working there was a great experiance. I can’t believe it. All that seems so much out of his charactor.

Comment by FMC — July 29, 2009 @ 4:23 pm

7. I knew him to be a decent and hardworking agent. His two children were absolutely adorable and loved. I lost contact with him years ago and was hoping to re-connect with him. This is sad news…I hope he is doing okay.

Comment by Karen Kim — September 17, 2009 @ 3:30 pm

8. I am a former client and still trying to collect from him. Does anyone have an address of phone number. I am willing to settle. It is a considerable sum. Is his bond in place? Any info??

Comment by Miri Hunter — February 4, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

9. was wondering if anyone knows where Alex Castillo talent manager moved to

Comment by Edna — August 2, 2011 @ 9:29 pm

10. I have been fortunate enough to have Conan Carroll in my life today. He warned me that if I googled him, it would be embarrassing but true. It is sad that he stood by so many people during his career and where are all those people when he needed a kind word or a cup of coffee when he dismantled his personal and professional life while practicing his disease of alcoholism and drug addiction. The man lost everything. The court system proved that he who has the deepest pockets wins (seemingly his domestic partner had deep pockets after cleaning out all the bank accounts). Conan Carroll is human and is the first to acknowledge that he alone is responsible for what happened to him however, does the sentence the man is serving down on SKID ROW befit the crime of being human. I don’t think so. He’s a great guy that everybody down on the Row is very fond of. He is a ‘character’ but only hopes and prays that he will one day be reunited with his children and although the court orders allowed him visits, his former partner makes these visits impossible. Conan attended several rehabs, the last one couldn’t seem to find his wallet, his ID or his cell phone when he checked out. He trusted this establishment with his personal possessions and they couldn’t seem to find them upon his release. But who cares….its a drug addicts word against Management. Some of the comments I have read on the web make me ill since the man we know down here is an honest, hard working, kind, decent, funny guy who is wildly talented and we are all looking forward to the CONAN SHOW which is currently in production. I have read some of his stuff and its cool but all the better when he reads it. My friends and I seen him at a reading at the Book Soup place and he was a trip. He stole the night with a painfully raw, honest piece about growing up ‘different’, losing everything and setting a vow after being screwed over by his partner and the legal system….to ‘destroy himself’ by ‘slamming’ Chrystal Meth. 90 days later, he was successful….partially….however, we pray for his continued recovery and if anyone wants to get in touch, you can email me at luishuerta90013@yahoo.com and I will get a message to him. I know he will be mad at me for writing this comment but the dude deserves a little support, a cup of coffee or maybe an “I love you” and I hope he knows that although we have met through unique circumstances “I love him” and hope he is in my life for a very long time. Sincerely, Luis Huerta

Comment by Luis Huerta — January 19, 2013 @ 9:15 am

11. Adolph Mondry MD
    753 Virginia Street
    Plymouth, Michigan 48170
    734-459-6267
    ajmondry@yahoo.com
    Dear Sir:

I would like you to review “Highly Connected”, a screenplay answering the question – what would you do if you discovered that you controlled subconsciously, then esoterically, the entire universe? It was previously represented by Jack Scagnetti.
    I published two editorials on high level esoteric scams. I wrote a textbook on esoteric medical rip-offs, a poem and fictional account of life from an esoteric point of view, and a novel examining esoteric power and control along with its consequences throughout history. I used all of this experience to craft this screenplay.
    Control in the screenplay is catchy and reflects the personality of the connected person – villain as well as hero. An antidote is discovered, which disconnects control, but until the connecter (a new technology) is discovered and destroyed, the screenplay twists and turns around good and evil through an interesting number of computer generated special effects, until comedy and love save the day.
    I am a physician and a self- taught mathematician, physicist, and engineer. I own a software company. I am an energy and medical advisor to the White House.

Yours truly,

Comment by Adolph Mondry MD — April 22, 2013 @ 9:31 am

12. My name is Dylan Carroll Jensen. I am tired of everyone talking so bad about my Father Conan. And for thoes of you who believe that his partner my father james cleared him out and left him with nothing you are sadly mistaking. We lost everything including the house and everything we know from that time. Just cut us all a break. Thanks

Comment by Dylan Jensen — April 14, 2014 @ 12:12 pm